Saturday, May 28, 2022

In short, I am busy: I survived program

I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916
  • Photo op - Cardboard cut-out of shark mouth, created by various staff
  • Craft - mini sharks
    • Die cut cardboard fish
    • Scissors, markers
  • Experiment - fake blood
    • corn syrup, corn starch, flour, red food coloring, water
    • bowls, sink, cleaning materials
    • paint brushes
  • Decorations
    • mini sharks with shark facts
  • Resources
I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005
I Survived the Children's Blizzard, 1888
  • Storm in a jar
    • paint, baby oil, glitter, alka seltzer
    • jars and/or clear water bottles
  • Resources
I Survived the San Francisco earthquake, 1906
I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944
  • Coding challenges
  • Paper, pencils
I Survived the destruction of Pompeii, AD 79
  • Vinegar and baking soda volcanoes
    • vinegar, baking soda (we used about 6-8 jugs of vinegar and a very large bag of soda)
    • washable paint, balloons
    • milk jugs or soda bottles, swimming pools
I Survived the sinking of the Titanic, 1912
  • Boats
    • Popsicle sticks, duct tape, corks, styrofoam plates
    • Ice chunks
    • Swimming pools
General resources
  • 6-29-19
    • Attendance: 35
    • Notes: My links for coding were broken and I didn't get the bottles for tornadoes. We made volcanoes, fake blood, snow storm in a jar (we found it worked better without the paint - possibly b/c we were putting tops on), buildings for earthquakes, titanic, and make your own shark.
  • 6-30-18
    • Attendance: 54
    • Notes. I scheduled myself and one aide starting at 8am, then 2 more aides at 9. We put the volcanoes and fake blood in the lobby, pools for Titanic outside, and everything else in the Community room.
    • I had kind of hoped for more attendance, but with temperatures souring to the 100s and being the week before July 4th, it just didn't happen. Which, ultimately, was good - more people and it would have been a disaster! The blizzard in a jar didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but most people were happy with it. Everything else went well.

No comments: