Thursday, January 19, 2023

Grub by Sandra Severgnini

1-19-22 I'm excited to update this review with the news that you can now order Grub in the US! Baker and Taylor is showing copies available and is now listing it as published. I also received a review copy from the publishers which was awesome, as I can't wait to introduce this to our patrons!


Although often touted as "unique" and "groundbreaking" it seems to me that most picture books, especially informational/nonfiction science books, stick with the same small number of topics. Take, for example, metamorphosis. Other than a few series nonfiction titles, there's really not much that shows a larvae turning into anything but a butterfly, certainly no other grub books (feel free to correct me if you've got something I've missed!). So I was delighted to discover this informational book that features a plain white grub and a fun refrain finding out what he will turn into!

The story opens in a green jungle, narrows down through the colorful flowers and fungi, to a small white grub in a rotten log. One by one, Grub questions the insects that pass by, wondering if he will turn into a bug like them after his "long sleep." Each answers no, explaining their own metamorphosis alongside a picture of their larval stages. A ladybug, cicada, butterfly, dragonfly, and stick insect are all questioned. Finally, Grub "builds himself a protective shell out of his droppings" and goes to sleep, waking up to discover he is... a Hercules beetle!

The art is simple and has a nature journal vibe to it, with lightly sketched images on pale backgrounds, focusing on the details of each nymph or larva. There is a pleasant refrain to the story, with Grub settling back to eat and eat after each question. My only worry is that, since I only saw this book in electronic format, I am not sure exactly what the binding and layout will look like. However, I checked with friends who have titles from this publisher and there seem to be no issues.

Verdict: I am thrilled to discover this unique and informative story; provided the physical layout measures up to the ebook I reviewed, I will definitely be following this author and publisher for future titles. Recommended.

ISBN: 9781922539267; Published November by EK Books; Egalley provided by publisher for review; Added to my order list for the library



No comments: