Saturday, March 23, 2024

In short, I am busy: Very Hungry Caterpillar Celebration

I noticed that the first day of spring, Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, fell on a Tuesday this year. Moreover, our school was starting spring break early the following Thursday and I wanted to do a push for folks to join our Read and Grow program. So I planned a Very Hungry Caterpillar Celebration instead of our regular family storytime. I posted the time as 10-12, but was able to open early at 9:30 (our Tuesday/Thursday storytime is usually at 9:30.). One of my associates and a volunteer did most of the set-up the night before. My youth associate and an aide helped out during the program and my teen associate took pictures and helped out as needed.

Resources
  • Posters for each station in Canva
  • Storywalk of Eric Carle's Head to Toe in lobby - this was made from 2 "big books" so it was an oversized one that was easy to follow.
  • We moved over the portable sink, aprons, etc. and covered most of the tables in plastic b/c little hands + paint.
The first station inside the door was our Read and Grow supplies. I stayed at the door to welcome families in and asked each if they had the materials. I had the folders, caterpillar heads, permanent markers, and some stickers to decorate the folders (I also realized afterwards that I needed extra logs for those who had run out and we gave out one Spanish form!). I spent a little extra $$ for "real" Eric Carle stickers to hand out to the kids as kind of a "ticket" as they came in. I had our prizes set behind on a cart so people could see what they would earn. A couple people just took stuff, but since I'm completely casual about "tracking" it doesn't really matter! We got ~15 more people to join.

The second station was Eric Carle books and new books on display. Lots of people found Eric Carle books they hadn't known about and a good number of new books checked out.

Craft Stations
  • Fuzzy caterpillar - clothespins, pompoms, googly eyes, glue dots
  • Butterfly masks (50) - die-cut masks (construction paper), markers, jumbo craft sticks, tape
  • Puppets - die-cut shapes (horse, worm, butterfly spider, ladybug, cat, star) 20 each in cardstock, popsicle sticks, markers, tape
  • Very Hungry Caterpillar puppet - brown lunch bags, paper scrap bin, scissors, glue sticks. Sample here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/264093965620050217/
Art Stations
  • Artist who painted a blue horse - die-cut 50 large horses in white construction paper, biocolor/washable paint in non-tip paint cups, paint brushes
  • Mister seahorse - Printed coloring sheets on white cardstock (downloaded online somewhere), bleeding art tissue, paint brushes, cups for water.

No comments: