Wednesday, August 12, 2026

In short, I am busy: We Explore Artist Sarah S. Brannen


Books
Art Project 1: Bleeding art tissue paper
  • Bleeding art tissue paper
  • Paper (thick, non-absorbent paper works best if you have it)
  • Water
  • Paintbrushes
This is for toddlers or those who don't want to get messy. They just paint the water over the tissue and it "bleeds" onto the paper. It's sold in packs of all colors, but only the dark pink, blue, and purple actually work though. Little kids mostly just enjoy getting things wet anyways. You can either wait for the paper to dry and brush off the wet tissue paper scraps or peel off the wet ones, dying your fingers colors in the process.

Art Project 2: Liquid watercolors
  • Liquid watercolors
  • Watercolor paper
  • Brushes
This is for older kids - these paints stain. I store them in baby food jars and occasionally they dry out - just add a little water. Every once in a while they go bad though and all you can do then is toss them. Theoretically you could add water and dilute them, but that's a little too complicated for my audience.

I had planned to pass out pencils and notebooks and go outside to sketch things the kids saw, but I had only a couple toddlers to start with and then a few older kids at the end come in to paint and it was hot and humid so I skipped that.

No comments: