Monday, May 18, 2020

Extreme Ocean by Sylvia A. Earle with Glen Phelan

I'm not really a huge fan of oceans, as I find them to be kind of... scary. Also, I already purchased this book for the library in a library bound edition. But I do like National Geographic and I admire Sylvia Earle and I thought with the upcoming shutdowns I'd have a lot of extra time to review books (HA HA HA HA HA HA) so I went ahead and looked at this.

It's very well-done, in National Geographic's popular style. The chapters introduce readers to the ocean, to the living things beneath its waves, to scientific investigation into its depths, and to the serious environmental dangers encroaching on the ocean today. Each chapter is broken up with personal anecdotes and experiences of Sylvia Earle, both from her childhood and career, with interesting facts and information, and with photographs.

The "save the ocean" sections do address the larger and more complicated issues, showing how difficult it is to enforce legislation and the need for broader policies and for countries to work together. There are also extensive sections of suggestions for kids, varying widely from school projects and research to my own particular annoyance, the "you can save the earth by biking to school, using straws, and a host of other things you have no control over as a child." But that's pretty common in all types of these books and while it annoys me, it's not a huge deal. There's plenty of back matter, further resources, and suggestions for kids interested in going deeper as well.

Verdict: The "eXtreme" series from National Geographic gives interesting overviews of major sections of nature and, while they're not ideal for a specific research project, are great for browsers or those trying to narrow down a project.

ISBN: 9781426336850; Published March 2020 by National Geographic; Library bound edition purchased for the library; Paperback review copy provided by publisher and donated to the library

No comments: