Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Fall 2026 programs

 I planned a minimal slate of programs for this fall. Keeping the library open and maintaining programs and services throughout renovations over the past year has been overwhelming and there are still lingering issues and project to resolve and finish. Fall is also our Friends' big fundraiser and budget season for the city. There's just also a lot of other stuff happening. Usually I plan while thinking of the times when the most people can attend, but for this fall I am offering what our staff and resources allow.

Fall events handout

Self-directed activities, available during all open hours

  • Read and Grow
  • Scavenger hunts
    • September - tools (we are transitioning to a reusable scavenger hunt to save paper)
    • October - ghosts (this is an all-library scavenger hunt run by the circulation department)
    • November - food
    • December - space
  • I spy aquarium - coming in October
  • Mystery sticker picture - while supplies last and then we'll think of something else
Self-directed programs, drop-in during specific times
  • STEAM activities, based on the activity calendars
    • These will be offered on some Mondays and possibly Fridays, when there are no other programs, but regularly on Wednesday mornings. The Wednesday morning sessions are aimed at homeschoolers, although all are welcome.
  • Pokemon Hangout
  • Homeschool Teen Hangout
    • This is during the same time as the Wednesday STEAM activities and is basically an opportunity for the teens to use the Create Space. I don't know how this will go - we might end up with a lot of younger kids in the space or need to have a staff presence. Or nobody will show up at all.
Storytimes
  • Paws to Read (outside presenter)
  • Family Storytime (school colleague - alternates at the library and the Rec department)
  • Wiggles and Words
  • STEAM storytime (afternoon storytime themed with the activity calendars. It's run by two Library Board members who are also teachers)
Other events
  • Itty Bitty Bopping Bakers. This is a storytime/cooking event run by our school colleague in conjunction with the nonprofit we partner with who offers services to adults with disabilities.
  • Jory John's Food Group party. One of the TAB members wanted to have an event and I gave them a time and they are planning it.
  • Live animal presentation - this is one of the Preschool Family Fun nights run by my school colleague and hosted by the library.
Teen events/Create Space
  • I have a monthly TAB meeting planned - the November one is the Food Group party and I told the kids we'd have a cookie party in December. Otherwise they have to figure out what they want to do.
  • Teen hangouts in the Create Space - the teens get to come and make stuff. They enjoyed this over the summer, but I don't know how their schedules will work out during the school year.
  • My teen volunteer opportunities this fall will be opening the Create Space on specific afternoon/evenings. I will be doing some training for them and the times I've picked are when I am available at the youth or information desk. I don't know how this will work out - I can't advertise it, b/c I can't guarantee that volunteers will show up, so there might or might not be kids coming. Still, if it ends up with teens hanging out on their own that will be fine too. And if nobody comes at all, I tried. I've also scheduled some groups (like Girl Scouts) to use the Create Space.

No comments: