Saturday, September 9, 2017

This week at the library; or The Fall Officially Begins

I'm feeling kind of like this dahlia. First thing in the summer
it got eaten by aphids, when it finally bloomed again,
months later, something ate it.
What's happening
  • Monday - closed for holiday
  • Tuesday - school begins
  • Wednesday
    • Garden to Kitchen
  • Thursday
  • Friday - no programs
We had pretty small turnouts for programs this week - partly the chaos of school starting and partly that I am currently training new staff so there is no one really in charge of/staying on top of publicity and it's gotten a bit piecemeal. Pattie's new program, Garden to Kitchen, had a small but enthusiastic group who all enjoyed picking tomatoes and other things in the garden and planting their own beans. I had 27 for Lego Club, which was good, especially for lack of publicity on the switch from Thursday to Tuesday. I decided not to do outreach visits this fall, to the 4K and kindergartens, only field trips as I'm going to need more time to train staff and handle several other large projects. I've already packed up and sent out 3 boxes and 3 baskets of books for schools so I'm thinking that was a wise choice...

I'm running a survey for parents and caregivers of kids with special needs - one of the things I'm working on, inspired by that, is getting our publicity to be more inclusive and make it clear that kids of all abilities are welcome at programs. Different libraries have different needs, but I talked to Pattie and we agreed that older kids (or even young adults) with developmental disabilities would be welcome at storytime as long as a caregiver was present.

Bookaneers Choices

No comments: